Essay Procrastination - Red Carpet Round-up

I love the Red Carpet. The Red Carpet is my favourite thing. When I was a girl I never drew my Wedding Dress, it was always my Red Carpet Dress, and when other girls just drew one, I got to draw hundreds. Here's one I drew in a Feminist lecture the other day. (Note my weird proportions, limited colours and creepy SJP meets Sandra Bullock with Carey Mulligan's shin obsession Oscar dress prediction).



Anyway, I love Red Carpets so much that when I leave university and get a house I will only have Red Carpets and I will hire people to take photos of me and make pretend magazines where they rate my outfits and tell me how marvellous I am, kind of like 1984 except less sinister.I could go on forever, but I will try to keep this round-up short and try to forget about it until next year when I will find that my invites have been lost in the awful postal system once more.


To any of you lucky enough to be attending a formal event (where you can persuade a parent/grandparent/stranger on the street to spend many a pound on you in the name of feeling like a princess) anytime soon, take note from these classic Red Carpet looks.


Apart from the usual ‘jewel colours’ (the umbrella term for anything vivid and less traditional), I noticed a lot less colour than normal this year. Ironically, bridal style gowns took my top spots this year. Kate Hudson was my favourite repeat offender in solid white gowns (Marchesa at the Golden Globes and Emilio Pucci at the SAGs) and I almost cried when I saw how unslutty and princessy Miley Cyrus looked in the underwear as outerwear trend, wearing Jenny Packham at the Oscars.



But I don't discriminate against other colours, although apparently they must be pale too. Luckily, there was a sea of beautiful incipidness in the dresses that gave the looks a more subtle and classic elegance. At the Oscars Sarah Jessica Parker (in yellow silk Chanel Couture), Cameron Diaz (looking preened in Oscar de la Renta) and Sandra Bullock (in sequinned Marchesa for her big moment) did an excellent job showing the world that you can stand out without hurting everybody's eyes, as long as you're comfortable and the dress is perfectly crafted.



I don’t hate colour, but if you can stand out in something with such a placid palette then you know how to wear clothes. Black doesn’t offend me either (even though Julia Roberts at the Golden Globes in Vintage YSL was the most boring thing to have been seen on any carpet in a long time), so I will say congratulations to Kristen Steward for becoming a lady at the Oscars and actually looking happy to be there in the Monique Lhuiller gown, and Glee’s Lea Michele standing out in black at both the Golden Globes and the Grammys.


Final point: I think Elie Saab used awards season as his own personal catwalk, and I loved it.


Jessica Wilde ~ @littlemisswilde

No comments:

Post a Comment