Essay Procrastination - The Celebrity Takeover

Everyone these days seem to be pairing up with high-street big-wigs in order to pass on a bit of their designer excellence to us mere mortals. Whilst those with design credentials have every right to present us with affordable high end copies, it always comes as a great surprise when the next Z-list designer wannabe attempts to tread on the toes of the Greats. Already celebrities are starting to take over our high street; but here are a few collaboraions that will keep us on the designer straight and narrow...

Henry Holland and ROXY



Whilst I first had doubts as to the practicality of Henry’s collection of Ski wear for Roxy (which comprises of a leather mini skirt and mid-length jersey dress to name but a few), I was dually told by a regular to the slopes that this was an ‘après ski’ collection (what you wear for the enjoyable, social part after skiing all day and accumulating numerous bruises). Well that said, if ever I took to the slopes I would be the first one to get my hands on Henry’s leather quilted bomber jacket and heart print cardi available now from the pop-up Roxy Ski Chalet at Beyond the Valley, Newburgh Street, London.

Lanvin and H&M



Staying true to his trademark bold designs, embellished necklines and statement colours, Alber Elbaz has created a capsule collection for H&M that’s brimming with colourful Christmas gems. Entering stores on the 23rd of November, the Lanvin collection is set to be as successful as Stella McCartney and Matthew Williamson’s collaboration with the high-street super power, especially as the Parisian creative director Alber Elbaz wanted ‘H&M to go luxury, rather than Lanvin to go public’. Although the sugar plum, flouncy dresses are a bit too Cheryl Cole for my liking, I’d happily try and get my hands on the black blazer, puffy prom dress and rather lovely fur-coat-come-military-trench combo.

Amy Winehouse and Fred Perry



And now I come to the owner of that well known beehive and her attempt at a designer collaboration; who would have thought it, Winehouse...a designer? Whilst Amy obviously idolises the brand, she's possibly the last person I would have thought of to become the high-street's resident 'designer'. Kate Moss managed to produce a pretty coherent collection time after time for Topshop but Amy Winehouse, really?? Even Emma Watson’s been at it for People Tree as well as Pixie Lott for Lipsy. Soon the celebs will be controlling half our high-street; if they haven’t done so already. I say leave it to the professionals, you know, the ones that do this day in day out. I mean I’d rather say I’ve got a bit of Lanvin in my wardrobe that Amy Winehouse, wouldn’t you?

Miss Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment