Essay Procrastination ~ Sleeveless Wonders

With the revival of the gilet it is excusable to whip out your scissors and slice your sleeves off for summer. While the days are getting warmer the gilet offers the perfect in-between cover-up before we can scrap the jacket for good.

All I could think of when I first saw this waistcoat-come-jacket adorning every mannequin on the high street, were those horrific black padded puffa jackets (minus the sleeves) that my mum used to put me in; yes I looked like the Michelin man. So I let out a great sigh of relief when I discovered that the new-age gilets are merely sleeveless versions of the most coveted spring jacket styles. So here’s the dilemma; do I get scissor-happy and start chopping my way to gilet-heaven , or have another excuse to hit the high street to get the sleeveless counterpart to each of my spring staples? I think I’ll choose the latter...

On the top of my list has to be the denim/biker combo which is not only perfect for layering on cooler days, but will happily squeeze into your bag when the temperatures surprise us. This Topshop gem will toughen up the floatiest summer dress with it’s gorgeously textured acidic dye.



Cheryl sold the leather gilet to me instantly. Keeping it simple with jeans and a skinny belt, this rock chick staple speaks for itself. And surely having no sleeves makes having a bit of leather in your wardrobe a tad easier on the purse strings? Try this simply sumptious version from ASOS.



Release your inner wild child with these Topshop gilets in neutral safari hues. Whilst it seems a tad unpractical to brave our typical English weather in a sleeveless mac, you’ll be the one laughing when the sun makes an (albeit rare) appearance. The gilet just seems to answer all our in-between season dilemmas. Layer up when its cooler, layer down when it’s warmer; simple as. It may take a little while to adjust (I can’t help but feel like I’ve forgotten something with I don a sleeveless blazer) so for the moment I’ll let my arms adjust to their new found freedom in a little denim waistcoat and a long sleeved tee...until it gets warmer that is.



Miss Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment